Best Practice for Securely Setting Up your Multifunction Printer
Ensuring security in and around your multifunction printer requires security settings suitable for the specific operating environment. To help minimize security risks, read the following instructions and make sure your device is properly installed and set up:
|Security for Ricoh Multifunction Printers||Security Threats and Countermeasures||Ricoh's Security Functions||Common Criteria Certification|
Before using the device
- Install the device in an environment under appropriate physical security control so that the device will not be taken away or destroyed.
- Select an administrator and a supervisor who are authorized to manage the device. Make sure that the device is used under logical control of the administrator and the supervisor.
- The administrator should become familiar with the operating instructions before using the security functions.
- The administrator should instruct users on how to correctly use the security functions to conform to their site security policies.
- It is recommended that the log be regularly audited. Check for exceptions and abnormal activity.
- When the device is connected to a network, make sure that the network is protected, for instance, by a firewall.
- To protect data during communications, make sure that all connected devices support the relevant security communications functions, such as encryption.
- To protect the device from fraudulent operation by malicious persons, make sure to set up and periodically change the passwords for the administrator and supervisor.